Agricultural Literacy Curriculum Matrix
How Safe is Your Salad?
Learn about the safety system and protocols farmers and farm workers must follow while growing and harvesting lettuce and other leafy greens grown in Arizona. After an E. coli outbreak in 2006 the leafy green industry began approaching food safety in a new way. Learn the steps taken to protect your salad from foodborne illness.
Lessons Associated with this Resource
- Chain of Food (Grades 6-8)
- Cooking Right: The Science of Cooking a Hamburger (Grades 6-8)
- Crossed Up!
- Hands Off, Bacteria!
- Mystery Juice (Grades 6-8)
- Ultra High Pressure Treatment (Grades 6-8)
- Understanding Bacteria (Grades 6-8)
- Chain of Food (Grades 9-12)
- Fast-Food Footwork
- Ultra High Pressure Treatment (Grades 9-12)
- Outbreak Alert - Shigella
- Coliform Counts
- Cooking Right: The Science of Cooking a Hamburger (Grades 9-12)
- Mystery Juice (Grades 9-12)
- Understanding Bacteria (Grades 9-12)
- Cruisin' for a Bruisin' Food Packaging Specialist
- Food Safety Sleuths- Food Safety Specialist
- A Chilling Investigation