Agricultural Literacy Curriculum Matrix
Garden Genetics: Teaching With Edible Plants
Tired of teaching genetic concepts with the same old pink petunias and Mendel’s peas? With Garden Genetics, you can present core content in ways that are fun for students and fresh for you. This two-part set—a teacher edition and companion student edition—is adaptable to biology students at all levels, including AP. It uses a series of activities and inquiry-based experiments with familiar foods to teach genetics while helping students make connections to ecology, evolution, and plant biology.
Available for purchase from the National Science Teachers Association.
Lessons Associated with this Resource
- Wheat Germ DNA
- DNA: Expressions in Agriculture
- Inherited Traits in the Living Corn Necklace (Grades 6-8)
- High-Tech Food
- Roll of the Genes
- Sheep See, Sheep Do (Grades 6-8)
- Design 'Y'er Genes
- Strawberry Breeding and Genetics
- Use of Biotechnology in Selecting the Right Plants