Agricultural Literacy Curriculum Matrix
FUNdamentals of Farming Game
Farming is a risky business. Droughts and severe storms, equipment problems and outbreaks of animal disease can all occur unexpectedly and impact a farm negatively. This printable classroom board game teaches secondary students about animal disease management. Students take roles as a farmer, accountant, purchaser, or veterinarian to manage a pig farm. They will learn and use methods to prevent disease such as vaccinations and quarantine as they buy and sell animals at the auction.
- Download the attached Zip file.
- Print the game board and pieces using the Printing Instructions file.
- Note that you may want more than one game board for your class, depending on size.
- Tip: If possible, print the game board on 11 x 17 paper. To save on printing and cutting, you could use play money in the quantities indicated.
- Prior to class, cut out game pieces.
- Using the Instructions file, review the game objectives and rules prior to class and with students prior to game play.
File, Map, or Graphic
Lessons Associated with this Resource
- FARMLAND: Animal Welfare
- FARMLAND: Farm Risk
- Pigs on the Farm (Grades K-2)
- Pigs on the Farm (Grades 3-5)