Agricultural Literacy Curriculum Matrix
Designed especially for elementary and middle school, this hands-on test kit and mini curriculum employs simplified soil science methodology. Students examine and compare the physical and chemical properties of soil samples that they collect themselves, and they learn about properties of good and poor soil as related to requirements of plants. Materials included allow students to conduct soil tests for texture, pH, nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium using nonhazardous reagent tablets individually sealed in foil strips.
Lessons Associated with this Resource
- Soil Texture and Water Percolation
- The Right Diet for Your Plants
- Fertilizers and the Environment (Grades 6-8)
- In Search of Essential Nutrients (Grades 6-8)
- Plant-Soil Interactions (Grades 6-8)
- Plant Growth Affects the Soil (Grades 3-5)
- What's in Soil?
- Secrets to Healthy Soils
- Digging Into Nutrients