Agricultural Literacy Curriculum Matrix
Search Lesson Plans & Companion Resources
The Discovering FARMLAND website provides numerous educator resources using the documentary, FARMLAND as a foundation. Find select video clips from the film, downloadable secondary level lesson plans aligned to NGSS and CTE standards, as well as companion activities and a virtual field trip learning about the use of technology in agriculture.
- Virtual Field Trip: The Smart Farm Where Technology and Innovation Meet.
- Explore innovative technologies in agriculture that allow today’s farmers and ranchers to produce our nation’s food. Irrigation systems managed from iPads, animal diets’ tracked by computer chip, and tractors that drive using GPS are only a few examples of the ways today’s farmers and ranchers are using technology on their farms and ranches to produce food in a sustainable manner.
- Film: Watch excerpts from the Discovering FARMLAND film.
Farming as an Industry
Students will examine how agriculture has evolved into today’s modern farming and ranching industry. They will analyze data to construct explanations around environmental dependencies in agriculture, and investigate how agricultural products are developed in the U.S.
Students will investigate case studies that highlight media influence of agricultural demand and the impact on farmers and ranchers. They will establish a common understanding of the term "trend" to examine how foods become popular and who decides this, if anyone, and how different groups of people respond.
Breaking Down Stereotypes
Using strategies such as mind mapping, questioning, and group discussions, students will explore common stereotypes around farmers and ranchers. Students will compare traditional views of farmers and ranchers with real-world modern examples.
Challenges in Farming and Ranching
Students consider the challenge that farmers and ranchers face and the impact of those challenges on the availability of food, the financial well-being of farms and ranches, and the ways in which new technology can enhance agricultural practices.
U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance and Discovery Education
Lessons Associated with this Resource
- An Apple A Day Keeps the Doctor Away
- Journey 2050 Lesson 4: Economy (Grades 6-8)
- Journey 2050 Lesson 4: Economy (Grades 9-12)
- Journey 2050 Lesson 6: Careers for 2050 and Beyond! (Grades 6-8)
- Journey 2050 Lesson 6: Careers for 2050 and Beyond! (Grades 9-12)