Agricultural Literacy Curriculum Matrix
Search Lesson Plans & Companion Resources
Biotech Cheese Kit
Make cheese in your classroom using the same fast methods as industry. This kit includes the recipe to make cheese (also available to download), cheesecloth, and two different types of rennet - one from an organic animal source and one from a genetically modified yeast source. You add water, powdered milk, and buttermilk. This is a great activity for exploring enzymes and chemistry as well as the benefits and concerns surrounding genetic modification.
Utah Agriculture in the Classroom
Lessons Associated with this Resource
- Blue's the Clue: Souring Milk for Science (Grades 6-8)
- Blue's the Clue: Souring Milk for Science (Grades 9-12)
- Evaluating GMO Perspectives Through Labeling
- FARMLAND: GMOs and Organic Agriculture
- FoodMASTER Middle: Cheese
- FoodMASTER: Milk and Cheese
- Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) and Organic Foods
- Good Guys or Bad Guys?
- Milk Makin' Math
- Milk: The Scoop on Chemical and Physical Changes